If you’re living in Western Australia and have a permanent resident visa, you’re allowed up to three months to drive with your international licence. But after the three months are over, you must complete a licence conversion to a Western Australian driver’s licence to continue driving.
Depending on your age, country of origin and date of licence renewal, you may need to take additional driving tests before your licence conversion.
Is My Driver’s Licence Recognised in Australia?
Citizens of the following countries can have their driver’s licence recognised in Western Australia with no added conditions:
- Austria, USA, UK (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales), Belgium
- Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey
- Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg, Netherlands
- New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
This means that you won’t need to take a computer theory test but may still need to take a driving test to get a Western Australian driver’s licence.
If your country of citizenship is not on this list, added rules may apply to your driver’s licence. These can include:
- Experienced Driver: If you are under the age of 25 you must pass a theory test and a practical driving test.
- Recognised From: Your licence may only be recognised if it was renewed after a certain date.
- Non-Recognised Country: If your country is not on any recognised list, you must pass a theory and practical driving test before being granted a West Australian driver’s licence.
To see the full set of conditions and steps involved in overseas licence conversion, head to the Department of Transport website.
How Eclipse Can Help
If your international driver’s licence has expired or your three month period is almost over, Eclipse Driving School can help you to book and prepare for your official Practical Driving Assessment, as well as provide a vehicle for you to take your test in.
Eclipse Driving School’s instructors are experienced professionals and can help to give you the skills and confidence to pass your practical driving assessment on the first try. In 2017 over 400 of our students passed their driving test, with the clear majority doing so on their first attempt.
Eclipse’s instructors can teach new students how to drive or refresh experienced driver’s skills leading up to the official driving test.
Provide a Vehicle
Some cars are not allowed to be used for the practical driving assessment, including if they fail an initial safety test. Tyres without sufficient tread or other issues may not be accepted.
Eclipse Driving School can provide a well-maintained vehicle which you can use as you practice for and take your test, and which meets all the requirements for practical driving assessments in Western Australia.
Our skilled instructors can provide local knowledge to help you easily pass your driving test, including practicing in local areas and completing exercises that official test instructors are likely to use.
The driving instructors at Eclipse Driving School have years of experience with helping international residents convert their licence and pass Western Australian driving tests. They can easily explain Western Australian traffic laws and help to prepare you for your test.
Help You Book
Eclipse Driving School can make the complicated booking and application process for your licence conversion easy. Our team members can assist you in booking your driving lessons and official test date and can provide information and support to make sure you get your WA licence quickly and easily.
Eclipse Driving School covers many licensing centre locations in Perth, including:
Northern and Eastern Suburbs of Perth:
- Joondalup – 65 Boas Avenue, Joondalup WA 6027
- Midland – Unit 4, 5 Clayton Street, Midland WA 6056
- Mirrabooka – 13/1 Chesterfield Road, Mirrabooka WA 6061
- West Perth – Corner Troode Street & Plaistowe Mews, West Perth WA 6005
Southern Suburbs of Perth:
- Cannington – 18c/1480 Albany Highway, Cannington WA 6107
- Cockburn – Suite 3, 676 Beeliar Drive, Success WA 6164
- Kelmscott – 34 Gillam Drive, Kelmscott WA 6111
- Mandurah – Corner Pinjarra Road & Ranceby Avenue, Mandurah WA 6210
- Rockingham – 37 McNicholl Street, Rockingham WA 6168
Book Your First Lesson
Eclipse Driving School can make your licence conversion simple and help you to pass your test on the first try. Call one of our friendly team members (08) 9557 5010 or email us to book your first lesson today.